When hurricane warnings hit, the last thing you want to do is worry about whether or not you’re prepared. A little effort now can yield big savings and peace of mind in the future.
Hurricanes are strong storms that can be life-threatening and can result in serious property damage from flooding, storm surges, high winds and tornados. Being prepared is the best protection against the dangers of a hurricane. Be prepared. Stay Safe. Have a Plan.
1. Check your insurance coverage to make sure it’s up to date. Consider adding flood insurance and coverage for additional living expenses in case your home suffers damage from the storm.
2. Creating a home inventory takes time but it can save you stress during a disaster and make filing a claim easier, ensuring you don’t forget anything. Document the contents of your home with a video camera or other home inventory tool. Keep receipts for valuable items and consider adding separate coverage for these items.
3. Protect your property by installing the following items in your home:
4. Stock your emergency supply kit with basic survival items. You’ll want to have a 2-week supply of water and ready-to-eat, non-perishable food for every family member and pet. In case of evacuation, keep a smaller store – with a 3-day supply of the same – in an easy-to-transport container. Keep copies of these important documents in your disaster survival kit:
5. Have an evacuation plan to help reduce stress. Establish a well-communicated and well-known location. Identify an out-of-state contact that everyone can call if separated and establish a meeting location at least 50 miles inland. Be sure to have an evacuation plan in mind for pets as well.
Be sure to also keep up with your landscaping; diseased and damaged tree limbs can become serious hazards in high-speed storm winds.
Download our free Emergency Preparation Checklist
Enter your email address to subscribe to our blog.